Saturday, May 14, 2011

My Penultimate Day in South Africa

After finishing my city exploring, souvenir shopping, and package sending on Wednesday, I ended up having a rather peaceful day in Fish Hoek. In the morning, I hiked up one of the mountains that make up Fish Hoek and went down the other side to Kalk Bay. The group had done this weeks before and said that it was a great view of both Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay. They weren't wrong, just look at the pictures. I then took the train back to Fish Hoek where I went to the beach-side restaurant. I sat there reading for a number of hours.

I was able to find a fish store that would grill me some snoek so I was finally able to try the cape fish. While it was the most bony fish I've ever had, the taste was outstanding. With no salt, butter, lemon, or anything the fish alone was delicious. I then packed for a little bit and found myself returning to the beach-side restaurant to read more. This is, by far, the closest I have ever come to not being about to put a book down. I'm reading "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollen. It talks about the state of American food and the current problems with our industrial food economy. I find it fascinating. It is a good thing too because I'm about to have 18 hours to kill.

Tonight, I'm going out into Cape Town one last time. The four of us  are going to hit Long Street and see where the night takes us.

Here are some pics of the Fish Hoek beach and the hike:







Before I conclude the blog I just want to say thank you for reading it or any part of it. I am glad I could  write and share my experience while it happened. There is no way that I would have been able remember everything I've done so I'm glad I have this to refer to when I'm retelling the stories in the years to come. I am looking forward to seeing all of you when I return home!

1 comment:

  1. i'm also reading the omnivore's dilemna. it's crazy!!! i want to write him and say his book is probably made of corn!

    loving your blog... sad you're coming home and the adventures will be over

    hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete