Sunday, March 20, 2011

Birds Badgers and Birthdays

On Friday school didn't start til 11 o'clock and it ended at around 1:30 so it was a pretty relaxed day. At around 3 I took a quality power nap that took the rest of the afternoon. I went to the local pizza place in Fish Hoek for dinner. It's decent but it makes me miss New Haven pizza.

On Friday night, I went back to Mowbray to meet up with Elsha, my friend from American, for her birthday party. It turns out that three people in Elsha's group have had a birthday this week so it was a "birthday extravaganza." There were about 10 people in our group. We had tickets to see Goldfish at Trinity in Clairmont.I had already seen Goldfish at the botanical gardens but they were really good and I was interested to see how different their performance would be in a club setting. They didn't disappoint, and it was soo much fun.

Unfortunately, taking cabs back and forth from Fish Hoek to Cape Town is pretty expensive. Its roughly a half hour drive and I've spent at least $100 this week on taxis.


The next day Will gave us tickets to the World of Birds - a small zoo-like enclosure that houses birds, monkey's and some other mammals. The zoo was geared more toward younger children but we made it fin. We got to play with some of the monkeys and some of the birds were really cool.

Later that afternoon, we all went to the beach. It was the first time I had actually swam in the water. It was a beautiful day and the Indian Ocean was not as cold as expected. I've been reassured that on worse days the water is freezing.

 That night we went to the Cape Town Carnival. We weren't really sure what to expect but it turned out to be a two hour parade and then a massive block party that went well into that night. there were thousands of people there and when I got lost for twenty minutes it was a little terrifying.All ended well though as I spotted Pablo from the distance -luckily he's 6-4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment