Wednesday, March 2, 2011

More of the First Week

After getting a few days under my belt I can hesitantly say that Cape Town is awesome. My fellow volunteers are really chill people Their are a total of 10 of us, seven boys and three girls. 4 are from the UK the rest are from The USA (mostly from the Northeast). Last night a bunch of us went into Cape Town and checked out the night life. We went to a number of places that the other volunteers had been to previously. The highlight of the night was seeing a South African rapper perform for free.

I've gotten a pretty good grasp of the routine at the school and while it's not easy because of the language barrier, it's really cool that we're helping these kids. Their names are really hard to pronounce but because it's physical education, showing what the kids have to do can usually get the message across. While I haven't been a part of the teaching program yet, I can tell that it is much more difficult.

You know how when you throw out food and occasionally you think about the starving kids in Africa??...Well yesterday I gave half of my sandwich to one of the kids and it was really a cool thing to do.

The kids are inspiring to be around. Most of their parents are HIV positive or they are orphans or both. Many of them are constantly hungry and a number of the them have herpes or tuberculosis. Their school is vastly under funded and many times teachers don't show up or simply don't care. Despite all of this, they are constantly smiling. Granted I haven't been around for that long but a lot of them seem happy.

Again there is a lot more to tell but I have been writing these posts at the very end of the day and I am exhausted. Post any questions. I'm going to sleep. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment