Saturday, March 5, 2011

First Friday in Africa

The sports program begins at 11 o'clock on Friday which gave me a much needed chance to catch up on some sleep. There were also no sports in the afternoon so our day ended at 2. Instead of returning to the house, we took a walk across the township to a meat store for lunch. The store consists of a shack with a massive pile of meat behind the counter and a person asking, "how much?" in Xhosa. We bought three plates of meat (beef, pork, and sausage) and gave it to the guy across the shack to cook on a Braai (a South African barbeque). While the food was suprisingly good, flies were everywhere and I would give the place a 0 on the cleanliness scale. That afternoon, I chilled at the pool outside the house with some of the other volunteers. Later that night, a bunch of us went to Main Street in Cape Town to check out some of the places that the UCT students hang out at on the weekends. It was pretty chill but we got back waaayyy to late and today some of the other volunteers got getting up slowly.

Unfortunately, the past few days I have developed a little bit of a cold on top of the thumb injury (which is still swollen). I went to the pharmacy and was really shocked to find nothing I recognized (no Tylonal, Advil, Dayquil...nothing). I don't really want to experiment with new medication so it looks like I'm going to have to push through this thing the old fashion way.

Today, Saturday, we are going to Cape Point, the southern tip of South Africa. I'll make sure to bring my camera and post some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment