Thursday, March 24, 2011

Week 4 Updates

I've cooled off about the shark cage diving experiment. If I get another opportunity towards the end of my stay, I'll pursue it but I've put it behind me.

The day after shark cage diving, everyone in the house decided to go to the Muizenberg beach.and surf. I had never been surfing before and I was a little unsure about what to expect. After renting a surf board  and getting into my second wetsuit in two days (I hadn't been in one before diving in about 6 years), I walked to the beach where my other friends were waiting by the shore. Everyone in the water was slowly making their way toward the sand. Apparently the beach was alerted that there was a shark in the water......Ironic

Once we got in the water, Surfing was pretty fun. I got up on the board a few times and I definitely saw the appeal of surfing. The only problem was that the beach was somewhat crowded and I almost got decapitated a few times. Another volunteer did have a collision and may have suffered a concussion. Surfing is also surprisingly exhausting. I was in the water for an hour and I was pretty much spent after that.

Tuesday and Wednesday were fairly uneventful. I finally got a shot at the teaching program with a 5th grade teacher who teaches Xhosa and social science. He's really nice but I've only been doing it for one day so I'll post about it in detail when I get a feel for how it is going to go. Obviously I cannot help teach Xhosa, so during those periods I'll continue doing the sports program.

Tomorrow is our basketball rematch with the local team. I personally think that we are going to get killed again but my fellow volunteers are optimistic. All the coaches and some of the teachers have been looking forward to the game and there is definitely a buzz around the adults in the sports program. Because I didn't get to play in the first game, I'm looking forward to the opportunity. I just have to play with out my left hand to protect my still-injured thumb.

The past three nights have been pretty quiet so hopefully we can get something together and go out tonight.

My parents have been awesome and have helped me schedule a safari in Kruger park during the break week (April 2nd-April 9th). The park is on the other side of the country and is two airplane rides away. Unfortunately, I am the only one that is not going home after next week so I'll be doing the safari solo. I'm post more about the safari later. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment