Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 4 morning


The next morning I got up a little bit earlier, 5:15ish and finished my packing before heading out for our last safari. Ben had two goals, find more giraffes and find a heard of elephants. Within 10 minutes of heading towards the giraffes, Jack found fresh giraffe tracks and we were in pursuit. Actually, they were fairly easy to find. About 7 or eight of them were together right by the side of the road, walking and chewing in our direction. We got there just as the sun was rising above the tree line and it was really pretty seeing the orange sun reflect against their dark spotted coat. We hung out with them for a while as one after the other passed us and walked toward another reserve.
With that out of the way, Ben was eager to find this odd mysterious herd of elephants. On the way across the reserve toward where the last herd sighting was, we came across the lion brothers. About 10 yards for our jeep, they were both awake and it appeared that they were about to move. They were cleaning themselves and yawning. After about 10 minutes one of the lions rose and took a big stretch. It then walked around a little bit, eating grass (Ben explained that predators eat grass when their stomachs don’t feel well). He then lied down 15 yards from his brother. As we were about to leave, because it seemed like they were not going to move for a while, the one that was eating grass, got up again and walked away from us into the tall grass. The other lion, still lying down, had an expression on his face as if to say, “really? I’m comfy here and you want to move?...ugh” He, very reluctantly, followed his brother into the tall grass. We then sallied forth to find the herd.
We ended up finding three males in the same place. It wasn’t technically a herd but the family and I both agreed that it was close enough. We spent our last half with these elephants as they walked around pulling branches and grazing. At one point the elephant, very nonchalantly, walked about 10 yards away from us and started to stare at us down. After Ben quickly told us what to do i.e. do not stand up or yell, we just sat there looking at the 3 ton animal that could, if it wanted to, run straight through the car. It blinked first, however, became disinterested with us and walked away.
We headed back to the lodge all feeling satisfied that the trip was a great success. I then had a big breakfast and said good bye and safe travels to the family. As I was changing my shoes from hiking boots to running shoes I felt something was in my left running shoe. My little friend the frog, who this time surprised the living shit out of me, was in my shoe. After I ridded myself of the frog once and for all I gathered my stuff to leave. I thanked Jack, Ben, and the staff manager for giving me such a great experience. My pickup was waiting for me and as we exited the reserve we saw about 10 giraffe and two rhino all in the same clearing. The driver just wanted to get me to the airport so we didn’t stop but it was a great last mental picture of the past three days.
My travels went relatively smoothly and I was able to snag an empty row on the plane. As we were coming into Cape Town, I got a great aerial view of Table Mountain, Cape Town and both the Atlantic and Indian Ocean. I just realized, that I haven’t mentioned this yet but I’m going skydiving Friday morning and I’m probably going to see that same view just with a lot more adrenaline running through me.
 Before I conclude this epic series of posts I must again thank my parents for sending me the Sabi Sabi. They could have just as easily sent me camping out into Kruger or not sent me at all for that matter. Instead, they gave me a little slice of luxury during my South African experience and I am very much grateful and thankful for their generosity and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment