Friday, April 22, 2011

There is still the other side of life on the other side of the world

School on Thursday was a complete joke. We got there and were told that the day ended at 11 o'clock. But because the teachers are so unmotivated, they took advantage of the half day and let the kids out by around 9:45 (it probably wasn't even legal but no who cares).

We hung around the township, which is never a good thing, for an hour or so before Will picked us up at 12. We had the whole day ahead of us so we decided to go to the beach. It was a nice 75 degrees but the wind overtook the nice temperature and the tide was coming in fast. Whatever beach we had, was gone an hour or so after we got there.

That night we had plans to go into Simon's Town where Caine and Sammy have been staying on the weekends. The house is built into the side of the mountain and while the walk up was dreadful, the view made it worth the trek. Before Will and Roxy arrived for dinner, we decided to go down to Boulders Beach and show Rosie the penguins. We got lost on the way down the hill but once we got there the penguins were just as interactive and entertaining as they were the first time we were there.

We came back up the mountain, had a really good dinner (Caine is a good chef) with Will and Roxy and chilled in the house for the evening. Will and Roxy were traveling the next morning for the weekend so they left pretty early on.

This brings me to today:

This morning I got up to see the sunrise but mistimed it. We got up at 7:45 to catch the 9:04 train toward Cape Town. Caine and Sammy were giving a surfing lesson at 10 o'clock in Muizenberg and Rosie and I were going to meet them at 11 after we got our stuff from Fish Hoek.

We got to Fish Hoek, gathered our gear, and before we were about to leave Will called and told us we should do Table Mountain today instead. We had already made plans with Caine and Sammy so we sallied forth and went to the train station on our way to Muixenberg- or we tried. My key got stuck in the lock of the front door. When I took the key out, the slot came with it so now the front door is broken (remember Will is away for the weekend). 

The train was scheduled for 10:54 but it never showed up. After the second announcement that the train would be delayed at 11:40 we gave up on the train. We called a taxi  but it's Good Friday and all the numbers I tried didn't answer.

After abandoning Muizenberg, Rosie and I got back to the house. I then found out that the Shark Cage Diving scheduled for Monday was postponed to next weekend because a cold front was coming this week. Apparently the temperature is supposed to drop 10 degrees on the week that we have off. Rosie and I chilled by the pool to catch some rays before the weather changed but I accidentally rolled over on my glasses. They are wearable but they are completely bent out of shape and I'm not sure if I'll need a new pair or not.After the surfing fail and the tanning fail I went to take a shower but there was no hot water because the plumber came yesterday to fix something but broke the hot water system. I then found out that Belinda was making pasta for tonight so I went to the store (through the back door) to pick something up for myself (I can't have pasta) but again, it is Good Friday, and all the stores are closed.

Today is probably one to forget on my journey. I supposed I am making this post as a constructive way to vent my frustration from the days annoyances. That said, these days are unavoidable wherever you go and so I'm trying to take it in stride and remember that tomorrow will surely be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment